You’ve heard about Extreme Programming. You might have read articles or books describing the XP process, but what next? How do you implement XP principles into an actual Java project? This unique book explains everything you need for XP development, starting with Ant, the popular Java build tool. The authors describe every stage of a real-world project life cycle¿testing, refactoring, versioning, deployment, and more¿with practical examples that you can immediately put to use in your own projects.
Every aspect of an XP project includes unique challenges, and Extreme Programming with Ant works through each step of the process.
- Mitigate risks by creating spike tests with Ant buildfiles
- Add version control and testing with JUnit
- Automate nightly builds and reporting
- Deploy applications dynamically using XDoclet
- Add additional team members after a project is underway
- Write custom Ant components to facilitate deployment
- Adapt an XP process for use by other teams or across an enterprise
Throughout the book, the authors include dozens of ideas for extending Ant with useful custom features such as generating UML diagrams and creating reports and metrics on-the-fly. All code and examples have been built, tested, and deployed using Ant 1.5.3.